Friday 21 February 2014

Rock Royalty

The Manchester Histories twitter feed reminded me that earlier this week was the anniversary of Wings' appearance at Salford University. In 1972 the entourage and band turned up at Manchester University's student union building offering to play for free. The social secretary turned them down, so they headed across the border to Salford. My friends and I used to drink in the Cross Keys in Eccles. Someone came in and told us they were playing, so we jumped in my friend's mini and headed over there. The fact that it was a free concert was neither here nor there, as in those days I got in free to most venues as one of Allan Prior's hippy dance troupe. My childish crush on Paul Macartney had waned with the Beatles, but I liked Wings and it was a great show. How strange that this week brings another member of rock royalty to Manchester. There were rumours and counter rumours earlier in the week about the venue and ticket prices for Prince. In the end it came down to two nights at the Academy next to the Students' Union building, at £77 a ticket. Both Friday and Saturday nights sold out in minutes. Fans were already queuing outside when I went past on my way to work at 8.30am. Word of mouth for Wings, twitter and social media frenzy for Prince. Free of charge for Wings. A hefty ticket price by any standards for Prince. I'm sure it will be worth every penny if you are there. I'll be next door reviewing a young Irish R and B band called the Strypes. It's going to be great. Perhaps they'll put Prince on their guest list. Somewhere in their pasts are the same musical influences.

No comments:

Post a Comment