Saturday 25 June 2016

A sense of place

It's only a couple of weeks since I spent a day thinking about the notion of a sense of place, thanks to the Humanities in Public initiative at Manchester Met and one of their events, held near Hope. I was full of inspiration to write about places I know and love, mostly in this country. Today I feel like a stranger in a strange land. Ironically the success of the Leave vote in the EU referendum has made me feel like I'm living in a foreign country. I'm struggling to recognise it. I was shocked that Sheffield, my new home, known as a City of Sanctuary, voted Leave. As a region South Yorkshire benefitted from EU funding when no-one else wanted to know. Memories are short it seems. I couldn't continue listening to the Radio 4 special from here this morning. I don't know anyone round here who thought we should leave, but I may be making assumptions. I'm very aware I have misread the attitudes of some friends and family members over the last few weeks. It's been even more difficult to second guess colleagues , though I have been comforted by support at work in the last couple of days. The shock of the result of the vote was much greater than I had anticipated yesterday. It seems many others felt the same, sick, despairing and full of dread for the future. I've grown up through the Cold War years, with the threat of nuclear war, through the Thatcher and Reagan era, the Falklands War, the first Gulf War, the Troubles, the disappointment of the Blair years and a second Gulf War, recessions and three day weeks, fuel crises, racism and right wing threats. I've nailed my colours to the mast and been actively involved in alternative approaches to the economy, the spiritual life, education and good health. I'm stoical and I'm a survivor. I know I'm not alone. These are unpredictable times. What is predictable are the broken promises to the Leavers and a damaged economy for all. At the moment the news seems dominated by Eton rivals and particularly vicious party politics. After the shock and numbness of the last couple of days, it's time to take stock and refuse to feel helpless. There's never been a greater need for hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment