Thursday 2 March 2017

Regrets, I've had a few

I am a regular listener to Radio 3's Late Junction. I like the different presenters' individual approaches to the music they feature. I always enjoy Max Reinhardt's choices and this week has been amazing. I often fall asleep to the sound of something new to me, and I am very grateful for the programme's website. Recordings of Pharoah Sanders playing with Gnawa musicians in Essouira has been a particular pleasure. I try not to do regret, but back in 1981 I was spending a few days in Essouira before I returned to England after a year's teaching English in Morocco. I was travelling with two girl friends. One evening there was a knock on our hotel door. A new Moroccan friend had come to invite us to listen to some traditional music. Not all of us wanted to go, and we had an agreement that we would stick together. We were a little uncertain of what was on offer. I realise now that this was an invitation to listen to Gnawa music, and it is one of the regrets of my life that we didn't take a chance. Who knows what we missed. Listening to Late Junction this week has made me wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment