Tuesday 2 May 2017

Any Port in a Storm

A couple of months ago I was travelling to the West Country by train. I had a lot on my mind and I knew reading a book wasn't going to be enough to distract me. I'd seen a short story competition on the Gifford's Circus Facebook page and I thought I'd have a go. Only 500 words on the theme of this year's show, Any Port in a Storm. I had a couple of ideas. As I travelled towards Devon, I recalled my brief time at Exeter University. In 1972 I spent a term there. Homesick for my friends in the North I was back by Christmas. There were some interesting times though and one involved going to the Tar Barrel Festival in Ottery St Mary around Bonfire Night. There was a fair in town that was straight out of a Thomas Hardy novel. Sideshows included a two headed calf and a five legged lamb. There was even a mermaid sitting in a glass tank. Somehow she found her way into my story. Last week I was thrilled to learn that I have won the competition. I get tickets to the circus, but what's even more exciting is that my tale is printed in the circus programme. When I go to the show Tweedy the clown will read my story out loud! I'm so thrilled to be part of the circus.

No comments:

Post a Comment