Tuesday 23 May 2017

Greater Manchester

I am still reeling from the news of the events at the Arena last night. The softest of soft targets, teenagers with their friends and parents, mostly girls and women. Violent death and injury is unbearable in any circumstances but the effects of this attack will be part of people's lives for generations to come. Last week I was at my aunt's funeral with my mother. She still talks about the Manchester blitz. She was only a child then, and noone knew if her older sister was alive or dead until she walked back through the door the next day. Some of my friends on facebook are counsellors and trauma therapists. They are offering their services. Others are sharing contact numbers and photos, offers of help. Manchester is where I'm from, where many of my friends live and work, where I went through the rites of passage of going to concerts and gigs with friends as a young teenager. Years later I took my children to events and concerts there, sharing the experience, bonding over the music. I have worked on the door at clubs including the Hacienda. Many of my friends have connections to the music business in the city and beyond. I have been that parent waiting outside the venue. I have been that parent inside the venue with them. I have been that parent waiting for them to come home with someone else's. The media circus that takes over when an event of this enormity happens is harrowing. but in among the eye witness accounts and the heartbreaking stories is the strong message that this is greater Manchester. People are coming together, rather than being divided. For many reasons I am proud to say I come from Manchester and today is one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment